Written by 11:28 AM Politics

Kim Yo-jong of North Korea said, “We highly appreciate South Korea’s commitment to preventing the recurrence of drone incidents… While we will strengthen border surveillance.”

‘No-Fly Zones and the September 19 Military Agreement’ Announcement – North Korean Response within a Day
“If Recurrence Happens, Horrible Situations… Borders with Enemy States Must Be Solidify”
, ‘[Edaily Reporter Kim In-kyung] Kim Yo-jong, Vice Department Director of the Workers’ Party of Korea, stated that she appreciates South Korean Unification Minister Jeong Dong-young’s expression of regret and commitment to prevent recurrence regarding the North Korean drone intrusion incident. She also announced measures to strengthen vigilance in the Military Demarcation Line (MDL) area.’,

According to Kim Yo-jong’s statement released on the 19th by the Korean Central News Agency, Kim said, “I highly appreciate South Korean Unification Minister Jeong Dong-young’s official acknowledgment of the South Korean drone provocation intruding into our nation’s airspace on the 18th, along with his expressed regret and the intention to prevent its recurrence.”

Previously, Unification Minister Jeong Dong-young held a briefing the previous day, repeatedly expressing regret over the drone incident and announcing plans to proactively review and implement measures such as establishing no-fly zones to restore parts of the existing September 19 inter-Korean military agreement as a preventive measure.

Kim Yo-jong stressed, “Once again, I emphasize that should any infringement upon the sovereignty of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea recur, regardless of who the initiator is or by what means, it will face dire consequences. This is not a threat but a clear warning.”

She continued, “Taking assured measures to prevent a recurrence of grave sovereignty infringement provocations is solely for South Korea’s own preservation.”

Kim Yo-jong added, “Our military leadership will take measures to strengthen vigilance across the southern borders of our republic adjoining South Korea, emphasizing that borders with enemy states naturally need to be solidified.” This appears to indicate a lack of willingness to respond positively to South Korea’s initiatives to restore the September 19 inter-Korean military agreement.

Since 2024, following Chairman Kim Jong-un’s escalation of hostile inter-state rhetoric regarding inter-Korean relations, North Korea has been engaging in border fortification by laying mines and installing barbed wire fences in the area north of the Military Demarcation Line (MDL). Some speculate that following the 9th Party Congress, North Korea may strengthen its ‘hostile two-state’ narrative by referring to the MDL as a national border.

Meanwhile, Vice Director Kim Yo-jong also issued a statement on the 13th, evaluating Minister Jeong’s expression of regret over the drone intrusion as a “relatively sensible action,” and urged the establishment of measures to prevent recurrence.

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today
Close Search Window
Close